Thursday, June 21, 2018

A Fond Farewell

Today marks the closing date on the Bonanza house.  But, today holds far more significance than a mere real estate transaction.  

consider it a final farewell to the past two years of my life.  

In the beginning, I clung hard to Aaron even though he was gone.  And, I clung to my 14th St house though I knew I'd let it go given what happened there.  

When I got into my Bonanza house, it felt comforting to lay my head on my pillow at night in a room where exactly zero people had violently perished.  It was a clean slate.  But, as many of you know, I was unhappy there.  It turns out, I’m not okay living in a cookie cutter subdivision complete with cluster mail boxes and exuberant HOA fees (something I accepted at first but which later became a source of bitterness and regret).  The land of the Moms With Strollers was isolating and I grew weary of the community emails boasting over and over the phrase “Fun Family Event!”.  Even the adult comedy night to which I was really looking forward turned into a “kid friendly event” after the backlash in Vanilla-ville.  

Thanks Moms With Strollers!

Norterra is beautiful but it’s not a place to be single.  It’s also not an area entrenched with any sort of culture, trendiness or fun.  

The unsettledness and anger I felt over my lot in life served me well in that it prompted me to purge the past.   One day, I marched through the Bonanza house collecting every thing that reminded me of Aaron (our favorite picture of us from the cabin, a heart shaped rock he found for me on a dog walk…the glass blown heart with his ashes swirled inside).  Without pause, I breezed through the house, the memorabilia in hand, and headed straight out into the garage where I swiftly stored the items in my memory box.  They still remain there today; nothing made entry inside the new house.   It’s not that I’m trying to forget him.  

How could I...there are some things my memory just refuses to erase.

It’s just…I’m done and moving on.   

So, that was then.  

Today, my heart is full.  I feel whole.  It took two messy and financially crazy years but I'm officially back on track.   Am I in the financial position I was in before June 2016?  No.  But, considering everything that has happened, I am not that far off.  I’m smarter than I look.  ðŸ˜Ž. I have landed firmly on my two feet.  Squarely, steadily, unwaveringly.   

In two years, I witnessed Aaron’s suicide, sold my 14th St. house, stopped running my nutritional supplement business, bought the Bonanza house, worked as an intern as a Chocolatier, sold my Tundra which Aaron drove for his work, bought a new car and lost my best friend who passed on the way home from our motorcycle ride.  Additionally, I helped found an all-women's motorcycle group, got hired on as a professor for NAU, thought often of restarting my nutritional business, sold the cabin where Aaron’s ashes are spread, hunted for four months for my dream home and purchased said dream home.  And, today I sell the Bonanza house which I felt forced to move into in the first place.   It’s a lot.  I wonder sometimes how I’m still standing.

I forgave Aaron once, very early on, for the “what”, “where” and “how” things happened but the aftermath spurred a fury that crushed any forgiveness I had previously extended.   And, I lacked the grace to forgive again. 

Today not only marks the closing on the Bonanza house but on an extraordinarily tumultuous chapter in my life.  I know I can’t erase it.  I know it’ll always be a part of who I am.   But I am officially out from underneath it.   For the first time in two years, I am happy.  I am content.  I am grateful. 

Two days from now, the 23rd, marks the two year anniversary of Aaron’s passing.  Just the other day, I opened my Timehop app - something I rarely did over the past year so as not to be assaulted by the memories.   Upon opening it, I realized it fell on the day I took what would be the last video of Aaron - we were on our way back down the mountain from the cabin and he was singing to the radio.  I watched that video hundreds of times a day after Aaron took his life.  But, it has been at least 18 straight months since I've seen it.  

I watched the video in its entirety, well aware of the smile that had formed on my face.  At the conclusion, I clicked out of the application and placed my phone on the table at which I was seated; it sits outside on the patio just underneath the kitchen window.  I took a pause and simply soaked in the view from my new backyard; the green grass, full sized trees, birds chirping and singing a song; Clove rolling in the grass and Cinnamon sitting perfectly as if posing for a photographer that only she can see.  It was perfect.  

So, with that....I forgive you (again), Aaron.  I bid you farewell.  I know you’re at peace, that you're happy and you're dancing in the moonlight.

I am too.



7 comments:

  1. You're more than standing, You're inspiring

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Lisa,tears are flowing but a smile formed through them.You are the strongest person I know and the second strongest I've ever known!So proud of you and proud to call you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you girl! Your strength is a force - I am blessed to know you! It’s all good from here. ��

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing the light within you, with us. You are an inspiration.
    After all, you ARE a Panther, and a SunDevil!
    Namaste

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praise God! Thank you for your blog! Waiting for the book. I have friends I will give it to! In the mean time I give them the link to your blog. Prayers continue in this next chapter!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh, typos!
    Re-write...
    So encouraged by this post. It just proves the power of prayer, the love and sovereignity of God, and your tenacity to pursue the best life God has for you. You truly are inspiring.

    ReplyDelete