Monday, August 22, 2016

I Saw Him First

I saw him first.

I stared at his profile picture noticing his five o’clock shadow which perfectly defined his jaw line, the way his left eyerbrow furrowed slightly and the rebellious manner in which he wore his Harley Davidson ball cap backwards.  I was drawn into this picture, captivated by his green eyes which gazed slightly right of the camera.  His expression was pensive and wistful.   He was magnetic.   And like the pull of a great novel, I couldn’t put his picture down.  

Face Book suggested that Aaron and I might know each other due to our mutual friends and though most of you know the story, I’ll briefly remind everyone that we did not know each other but, like a dork, I friend requested Aaron because he was just that gorgeous. Yep! That's what I did.  Truthfully, I didn’t expect to actually meet him.  I simply mused that should he accept my friend request, I would enjoy, 1) stalking the rest of his photos, 2) following this incredibly good looking man on Face Book, like a complete weirdo and 3) perhaps becoming acquaintances since he worked at the Harley Dealership where I brought my bike in for service.   

That friend request turned into more than friendship.  But, how we first met would become something he and I joked about many times throughout our relationship.  The fact that I initiated contact with him was sometimes my best ammunition.  Yes, he asked me out but I never missed an opportunity to remind him that I saw him first.  A routine conversation would go something like this: 

Aaron: I love you.
Me:  I love you, too, sweetie.
Aaron: I love you more.
Me: No, I love you more.
Aaron: That’s impossible.
Me: I saw you first.

That last sentence always made him smile.   

I miss his smile.  I miss his hugs and the way we'd sit close together on the couch while watching TV.  I miss the sound of his voice, the smell of his colonge on his neck and his laugh. I miss our conversations.  I miss telling him "I love you" and "I saw you first".  I hope I told him enough.  

Lord knows, I never it saw it coming...the day where I'd see him last.

6 comments:

  1. That is a neat story. To meet through Facebook. From what I remember when he asked you out you were sick, then you went to cabin and he drove up there, or was that a different time??again well written, bless you. I know today was a hard day. A lot of people are with you, prayers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Great memory, Connie! When he first asked me to dinner I had come down with the flu and felt horrible for a good three weeks. I kept putting him off and he was beginning to think I didn't actually want to meet him for dinner but that totally wasn't the case! I was in fact worried he would disappear from thinking I was blowing him off. When I finally felt better, I had already planned on going to the cabin for that weekend so I just flippantly texted him that he's welcome to drive up for the day. I never thought he'd take me up on the offer but he did! We talked for five hours straight. I didn't want to leave the mountain! When we were heading home on the freeway, when we finally parted to go our separate ways, I was really hoping he'd call me again. And, he did. :)

      Delete
  2. That is a neat story. To meet through Facebook. From what I remember when he asked you out you were sick, then you went to cabin and he drove up there, or was that a different time??again well written, bless you. I know today was a hard day. A lot of people are with you, prayers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely story. Thank you for allowing your followers a glimpse into these vignettes of your love story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He knew.
    He told me all the time how lucky he was. How blessed. How amazingly beautiful you were to him.

    He knew like no other.

    ReplyDelete