Friday, July 29, 2016

Piece for Peace

I feel like my heart has been ripped into tiny pieces of emotion, each piece baring its own label:  Denial.  Sadness.  Depression.  Despair.  Betrayal.  Anger.  

It's that last piece - Anger - that I hate the most.  It feels like an unwanted guest.  I'm okay sitting with sadness...that makes sense.  And, give me more moments where I just don't believe Aaron's gone; denial being the 1 or 2 minute vacation I take daily when I spray his cologne and could swear he's in the next room.  Depression, while not my favorite, is my new normal.  And, yes, I sometimes feel betrayal over the way Aaron left me, but sadness and depression win the emotional war so often that I forget betrayal even exists.

But that feeling of anger that washes over me and causes me to purse my lips and shake my head in disgust...

I don't like it.  That can emotional piece can go straight to hell.

I do not want to be angry at the man I loved the most in the world.   I just want to feel love, compassion and empathy toward him. 

But, I do feel angry more than I care to admit.  I feel my hands tightening over the steering wheel as I drive away from my post office with mail addressed to Aaron; mail I'll eventually give to his dad and it breaks my heart every single time.  His dad doesn't want his son's mail.  He wants his son.    

I feel angry when I remember the promises Aaron made to me that will never be fulfilled; promises to take me back to the Grand Canyon, to ride our bikes to Zion National Park, and to be married someday.  He said he would never leave me and promised to love me forever.

I'm angry that my cabin, the place to which I'd escape to rest, recharge and center myself now feels like a black hole containing a void so large that I'm almost positive it can never be filled.

I'm angry when I see his mom cry over the loss of her son.  I'm angry Aaron didn't ask for help; like he was some puzzle we were just supposed to piece together and now it's like it just sits on a table unfinished....all of us feeling like failures because we didn't get it right.

But, I still can't stay angry at him for long.  

I remember his green eyes that lit up with his smile, the way he would look at me when I told him I loved him and all the times he would act goofy to make me smile.  

And, I remember that all I ever wanted for him was for him to be happy.

No, I don't sit with anger very long.  I just love him too much.  That piece of my heart that wants to surge with anger is always quickly replaced with compassion and love.  It's a tradeoff that I easily make every single time.  My anger piece for his emotional peace.  

Love wins every time.  



4 comments:

  1. Lisa, you are amazing - I can see God in you, around you, for you. You are covered in his fingerprints. I'm blessed and a better person to have met you and you are making a difference in this world in honor of Aaron and folks like Aaron. Beauty from ashes...

    The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me,
    because the Lord has anointed me
    to proclaim good news to the poor.
    He has sent me to bind up the broken-hearted,
    to proclaim freedom for the captives
    and release from darkness for the prisoners,[a]
    2 to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favour
    and the day of vengeance of our God,
    to comfort all who mourn,
    3 and provide for those who grieve in Zion –
    to bestow on them a crown of beauty
    instead of ashes,
    the oil of joy
    instead of mourning,
    and a garment of praise
    instead of a spirit of despair.
    They will be called oaks of righteousness,
    a planting of the Lord
    for the display of his splendour.
    Isaiah 61

    In His Love, Sister, we stand firm. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend. Thank you for posting Isaiah...it's a book in which I'm finding much comfort. Love you xoxo

      Delete
  2. Forgiveness is the answer to relieve the burden of anger. Anger holds you back. Love and compassion provides support and moves you forward.

    I have to believe I am like many of your friends. We too are angry for the lose of our Positive and supportive version of the Lisa we had come to love and expect.

    We all can take yet another lesson from you, Forgiveness and Compassion.

    Thank you #thebestbloggerintheworld

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgiveness is the answer to relieve the burden of anger. Anger holds you back. Love and compassion provides support and moves you forward.

    I have to believe I am like many of your friends. We too are angry for the lose of our Positive and supportive version of the Lisa we had come to love and expect.

    We all can take yet another lesson from you, Forgiveness and Compassion.

    Thank you #thebestbloggerintheworld

    ReplyDelete