Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Chocolate Beginnings

I can’t seem to do it.   

It nags at me, consuming my thoughts, like an itch I can’t scratch.  I’ve tried willing it back into existence by making Face Book posts announcing to the world that I’m “officially back”.  But, in reality I’m not back.  I can’t seem to get my Isagenix business running again.  It’s frustrating because I felt unstoppable not that long ago; my momentum was strong and I loved helping friends realize their goals.

But when Aaron took his life, my nutritional business took a back seat.  As much as I try to put it back in the driver’s seat, I’m still looking at it through the rear view mirror and it keeps getting farther and farther away.  So, when I explained this to my counselor and admitted that I still want to work at least part time, she gave me homework:

“...write down three things you're most passionate about ~ don’t worry if they’re silly.  When you do what you love, it won’t be a struggle and it won't feel like work.” 

It only took me 3 seconds to write the first three things that came to mind:

  1. Motorcycles
  2. Fitness
  3. Chocolate  

I know number 2 and 3 are at odds but admittedly, I have a small piece of dark chocolate every single day.  There were times in my life where I entertained the idea of learning how to make chocolate - my love for it runs that deep.  I’d marry chocolate if I could.

So I sat with my list, the corners of my lips curled up in a slight smile as I sunk into a day dream of what it’d be like to run my own chocolate business...

...and, then suddenly my heart and mind were flooded with ideas that did not seem to be my own.  I can’t explain it any other way other than to say that I felt as if the inspiration came from God.  

I felt He placed on my heart some specific ideas and this inspiration catapulted me out of my chair toward my laptop where I commenced research on chocolatier schools.  I poured over the internet for over an hour to the point of overwhelm.  To clear my head, I took a break from research and went to check a Face Book message but naturally got sidetracked by a marshmallow chocolate dessert tutorial which I immediately shared on my wall.

The thread received some attention and one friend commented that her son, Jason, could easily make that dessert.  After making a few more comments using fancy chocolate lingo, I asked “Is Jason a chocolate-maker-type guy?”   

“Yes.  He’s a chocolatier and has his own business here in the Valley”.

“Well, that’s interesting”, I replied.  “I was literally just researching chocolatier schools...”   

“Well, if you’re interested, we’ll hire you and teach you how to make his chocolates.”

I stared at her response in total disbelief.  One minute I’m researching chocolatier schools.  The next, I’m getting offered a job as a chocolatier.

Craziness.

So what happened next?  

My friend suggested I meet Jason at the kitchen.  So I did.  That meeting took place the morning of February 22nd.  Jason invited me back to shadow in the kitchen which happened yesterday.  I couldn't wipe the smile off my face the entire time.  

How will this whole thing end?

I dunno.   I do know that Jason invited me back again and he let me borrow a Level 1 Chocolate book to study in the meantime.  I know better than to look too far ahead into the future because things don't always go as we imagine they will.  So I'll just keep taking one step at a time. And, right now my next step is to make myself an Isagenix shake (product consumption, definitely not an issue!) and crack open my chocolate book to study some more.  

Meanwhile, did you know that milk fat is very sensitive to saponification?  Me neither. Mostly because I didn't even know what saponification meant.  I had to look it up.  And, it's a Level 1 book.

But every successful chocolatier had to start from the beginning.

Helping to make ganache in the kitchen with Jason making another recipe behind me!


4 comments:

  1. The smile on your face makes my heart smile. While I am driven to Google whatever the word sap?what! means, I am reminded at what a young friend said to me recently. "God loves us so uniquely!" And look at you go! Proving God's faithful and unique love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this so much! Yes, follow your heart and your passion. So excited and happy for you. ♡♡♡

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look so natural there! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete