Sunday, September 4, 2016

A Hint of Copper

The security doors on my house were 15 years old and showed every bit their age.  The lower section of screen on the front door fell off constantly.  Aaron always screwed it back in place.  He kept meaning to get better fasteners...

And, mere days after Aaron died as I went to leave the house, as per usual, the screen fell to the ground.  

I calmly knelt down and picked up the screen.

And, then I launched it into the air.

It landed in the street and I stared at it for a few seconds before finally retrieving it and throwing it against the outside wall of my house before leaving for the day.

When I arrived back home, I noticed the screen leaning awkwardly against the wall. Impulsively, I called Steel Shield Security Doors who showed up in person just days later.

After small talk, Door Guy handed me a trifold brochure.  I opened it, saw the limitless styles, colors, textures and materials available and quickly folded it back up, placing it on the table.  

I hate too many choices.  Once, I went to Spencer’s for a microwave and when the employee asked what features I’d like I said, “white”.  He began spewing about timers, settings...models, and I repeated “it just needs to be white...”.  He hesitantly pointed to a nearby microwave stating “This one’s white”.  “I’ll take it”, I said.  With a smirk he added, “we have white ovens too, if you’re ever interested.”

I told Door Guy that I wanted the same doors my friend just purchased through Steel Shield - the kind that don't bend or break when hit with a baseball bat.   He picked up the brochure and pointed out the doors matching my description.  “Ok...I’ll take it”, I said.  

....then he broke out the enormous silver ring of color and texture samples.   

“Black is fine”, I blurted out.

“...ok, but there are quite a few variations and textures that come in black”

I refused to play this game.  I was not getting sucked into that drama. 

“I’ll take whatever one looks most like black”.  He suggested a black with a hint of copper.  (Whatever).

He took measurements, wrote up my ticket and I paid him half of the total cost, $1,174.00   

It was money I couldn't get back once I later decided to sell the house.  The doors were already in production.  

And, yesterday my Steel Shield Security Doors were installed.  With my house now under contract, I forked over the remaining $1,174.00 balance on the doors.  

But, they do look amazing.

No doubt I’ll be emotional when I’ve loaded the last box, leashed up the dogs, relinquished my keys and locked the door behind me for the very last time.   I’ll try my best not to look back at the house as my dogs jump in the cab of the truck and I get them situated.  But, I will.  I won’t be able to resist taking one last look at the trees  (they’ve grown so much!) that I picked out for the front yard, the color paint I chose for the exterior of the house including the red front door and the rock I chose for the desert landscaping.  

I’m sure to maintain my stare as I back out of my driveway and start driving away for the very last time.  Though they’ll be filled with tears, my eyes will soak up everything...perhaps even catching a glimpse of the copper in the black frame of the shiny new security doors as the sun sets on the little cottage on 14th St.

3 comments: